Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ADHD and my love life.......

For people trying to know about my love life.... "you are on the wrong page!"

I have ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).... and ADHD has affected my life.
My personal life took most of the beating.
I should make myself clear that my job at NIMHANS taught me that... "ADHD is a disorder, it is not an excuse, it is a fact."

Now that i look back on my life i see that the string of brief but very passionate relationships i had, ended because i had ADHD.... or maybe because i didn't know i had ADHD. To recognise a problem is as important as finding its solution.
I think that most of my relationships were going pretty good... except that i would miss the non-verbal cues.... when i knew something, i would be so good in executing it.
For example, if i knew it was my girls' parents anniversary, i would get them a nice gift, do something they really might enjoy and make their day.... but the problem was ADHD prevented me from remembering those small things that i considered unimportant.
Also, i would let my girl down on so many occasions... because i genuinely forgot that i had an appointment.... i had to lie to cover up the fact that i had messed up..... and when these lies got caught, i got banged.
now that i know i have ADHD, i am trying to practise how to help myself against my ADHD.

I have missed the cues given by a couple of very good friends.... and as a result lost their friendship too.......
I'd like to apologise publicly to all those people i might have hurt.... sorry that i could never even recognise that i was hurting you.

Let me add that ADHD has also helped me a lot.... i can multi-task better than others... am good at various fields, am very good at something i do when i like it, and i can take any amount of stress!!!

But like spiderman says "It's my gift... it's my curse."

No comments:

Post a Comment