Sunday, May 22, 2011

Memories restored my life....

There was something missing in my life.
I had everything one could wish for. A truly awesome family – parents who understood me perfectly (though sometimes mom pretends she doesn't), a brother who is always fed up of doing my chores, a nice career record (though I am currently unemployed by choice).... Still, there was something missing.
For a long time, I thought my ADHD was the reason why I don't feel happy enough, or why happiness doesn't last for long. I was soon searching for that unknown quantity (henceforth referred as x) in life.
I was having a nice gig going on in delhi, but came back home hyderabad, in search of x. Hardly six months at home, I was again feeling restless though I was earning well in a big corporate hospital .
About a year after returning home, I shifted base to CMC vellore in a research position. My life was superb there. I made friends I'd never dare to forget. But maybe x was still out there.
But then, I got my appointment letter from NIMHANS for a post in Psychiatry. And I then shifted to Bangalore in search of x. I spent the most enjoyable and productive six months of my career in NIMHANS and came back home, as I wanted to do my Post graduation this year (maybe PG was x???).

A chance meeting with friends from my college (before MBBS) brought back so many memories of life. Life was truly happy back then...
Back then, I didn't care if an x existed, if at all. Those memories asked me to introspect. What was the x I was searching for? Did it exist at all? Or was x something I had back then, that I had lost somewhere down the line?
After a long thought, which included falling asleep twice while on FB, I realised something as I was trying to pull my cousin's leg over her cooking on FB, it dawned on me!
X was my innocence. It was present in my smile that I had when I slipped on the stairs. It was in my stubborn attitude, when I starved myself, until a friend stopped dieting and started eating (does that qualify as satyagraha?). It was in my confidence when I consoled friends that we would overcome any problem in life.

I THINK IT HAPPENS TO ALL OF US THAT WE ALWAYS SAY “THOSE DAYS WERE AWESOME!!!” . Have you heard anyone say “those days were bad! I am better off now.”
Because people no more are satisfied. They think they know so much already that nothing feels to satisfy their quest for knowledge any more.
My life is restored now. I am able to enjoy the small pleasures of plating cards with my family, watering the plants, feeding the fish, and cycling around my area.
And all that credit goes to my memories.
Thanks to all my friends and family who made these memories so sweet.

2 comments: