Monday, August 9, 2010

What makes me happy?

I was listening to a lecture from a well known Psychiatrist the other week. While speaking on how to assess a patient he said "ask him what makes him happy?"
I don't usually take notes (though all residents are expected to), but i picked up my pen and scribbled down "what makes ME happy?". After the lecture i went back to work, and after two days, i chanced upon it. I pondered for a unusually long time....
what makes me happy?.... now thats a trick question.
I call it a trick question because we often misinterpret that as what makes us smile? Happiness is more long lasting... a smile more fleeting. maybe putting a coin in an old beggar's hand or waving to a six year old kid would make me smile... but not happy.
Happiness is the smile that extends from your lips to your heart... :)

Prayer (though i pray once in 2 or 3 months :D ), cycling, speaking to my dad, listening to music, and helping my patients - make me happy.
Playing guitar.... or trying to learn to play the guitar makes me happy. i think that would make me happy as it was something i planned to do for a long time.
After all this thought, i was wondering "Hey.... all things that make me happy are within my reach... why did i never think of this before? I mean i could listen to music, i could pray, i could buy a cycle, i could buy a guitar, i could try to help my patients even more and i sure could talk to my dad!!!"
But i didn't .....
Maybe my busy mechanical life doesn't give me enough time?

:(
As Kavi Pradeep truly said "dekh tere sansaar ki haalat kya ho gayi bhagwaan.... kitna badal gaya insaan... kitna badal gaya insaan..."

No comments:

Post a Comment