Monday, June 21, 2010

Addiction, life and "cut,copy,paste"

Addiction is a very serious problem in our society. and i don't just mean addiction to smoking, or alcohol!.... addiction to video games, to TV serials(god save those miserable people!), to high calorie foods and addiction to exploit others, are even more worse.
The worst part of addiction is denial. "i am not addicted to cigarettes man! i just smoke for fun"... yeah,yeah... I've heard that a thousand times from people whom i later meet in the lung cancer ward!
"I am not addicted to TV.... i just happen to watch those serials to pass my spare time" said a lady, who was brought to the hospital with severe chest pain. Diagnosis: Myocardial infarction.... in common and more interesting filmy terminology... a heart attack. What precipitated the heart attack??? "Pratyush was killed by the heartless Anamika who laced his coffee with poison, so she could elope with the twisted Ranjan..."
Before you guys try to break your computer screen, Pratyush,Anamika and Ranjan are the names of characters from a prime time daily serial.
I feel sad listening to such stories from my colleagues in the hospital. i did not believe stuff like that until eleven yrs ago when one day, i saw my grandparents weeping inconsolably after Nandamuri Raja was killed in telugu daily serial "ruthuraagaalu".
The poor guy Raja died a week later with a heart attack (this time in real life) and there was a second episode of my grand parents' crying !!!.
In the following week, i took a decision to ban all TV serials in our house. the ban is still in effect.... although my grand parents passed away ten years ago( may their souls rest in peace).
I know I wandered off the track while telling you about addiction... but what is the fun of saying something that has nothing interesting.
I can hear you shouting "You might as well "cut, copy and paste" what research has to say about addiction, instead of blogging without direction!"
I can hear my own reply echoing.."Hello!!! isn't the blog is titled A ROAMING DOCTOR'S ROAMING THOUGHTS!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment